Acne also known as acne vulgaris is a skin disease that causes pimples, and spots. This occurs when hair follicles are blocked with dead skin cells and oil from the skin. It affects areas of the skin with high number of oil glands like the face and upper part of the chest.
Acne is caused by
- Excess oil (oily skin)
- When hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells.
The signs and symptoms vary and they also depend on how severe the condition is
- Red bumps (papules)
- Pimples (pustules), these are pimples with pus at their tips
Here are some home remedies to help get rid of Acne
Many people drink green tea, but it is of great help when applied directly on the skin. Green tea contains flavonoids and tannins, which are known to help fight inflammation and bacteria that may cause pimples.
How to Use
- Put your green tea in boiling water for 4 minutes
- Allow tea to cool
- Use cotton ball to apply the green tea on your face
- Leave for 15 minutes or overnight
- Rinse with clean water
You can apply this 1-2ce daily and it can be stored for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apple cider or from unfiltered juice from pressed apples. It is known for its ability to fight many types of bacteria and also help dry up the excess oil that causes acne.
How to Use
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water, if you have a sensitive skin, use more water.
- Use cotton ball to apply the mixture on your face.
- Let sit for 5–20 seconds, rinse with water
You can do this 1–2 times per day.
Note that when you apply apple cider vinegar to your skin it causes burns and irritation, so it should always be used in little quantity and diluted with water.
Exfoliation is the removing of dead skin cells. It can be achieved by the use of scrub to physically remove the cells.
Exfoliation is believed to improve acne by removing the skin cells that clog up pores it also helps to make acne treatments more effective by allowing them to penetrate deeper, once the topmost layer of skin is removed.
There are different types of exfoliation products available in stores and online, but since we are using home remedies, here are some homemade scrubs you should try.
Tomato and Sugar
Sugar is rich in alpha hydroxy acids (or AHAs) which have a renewing effect on the skin. Together with tomato, it helps to exfoliate the outer dead layer of the skin, revealing the inner smoother layer.
How to Use
- Dip your slice of tomato in sugar
- Rub in circular motion all over your face- your cheeks, chin, forehead, nose and neck.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
- Use once a week.
Sugar and Coconut Oil
- Mix sugar and coconut oil together. You can also use salt in place of sugar
- Scrub skin with mixture and rinse well.
Exfoliate as often as you want, you can also do this once daily.
Always remember that a beautiful skin requires commitment and not a miracle.